Tales of Idiocy and Woe...But Now I'm CRAZY in California!

Monday, April 10, 2006

A Dilemma...

...Now I've heard the adage "the customer is always right". I've had that thrown in my face more times that I could recount. As of today, I have a new one, specifically for people who work in hi-tech:

The Customer is Always Stupid

Not to sound rude, but more often than not, it's true. Here's the call:

Me: Thanks for calling (store name). How can I help you?

Customer: Hello. I'm told that you buy old computers.

Me: Well, we do take some things in on trade, depending on the item. What have you got?

Customer: Well, I have a computer. It's a Viewsonic.

Me: Uh, I'm guessing that is the brand name of the monitor. I don't need to know the brand name as much as I need to know the type of processor, ram and hard drive it has. You wouldn't know those off the top of your head by chance?

Customer: Well, how much is it?

Me: Uh, it's impossible to say without knowing what it is. If you want, you could drop it off here for a day or two and we could check it out and tell you what kinda system it is, then give you a price.

Customer: Okay. What's it worth? I just want a ballpark.

Me: Again, I cannot give you a definitive price because I don't know what kinda computer you have. The details about the components make a tremendous difference in how much money it's worth.

Customer: Well, what do good, used computers go for?

Me: Well, it could be anywhere from 10 to 500 dollars, depending on how old it is and what kinda computer it is.

Customer: 500 dollars? That sounds about right! Thanks! (hangs up)

Me: What? Hello?

Until Next Time,

The Armchair Pawn Shop

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home