Tales of Idiocy and Woe...But Now I'm CRAZY in California!

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Some people should not be allowed to shop alone: Part II

Okay. Before I start, I must clarify some things:

1. I am a patient man with people who don't know anything about computers; I expect pretty much everyone to be a rookie.

2. I am a gracious man with rude and arrogant people; if you're horribly rude to me or talk to my like I'm a five year old, I will do my best to treat you in a proper and respectful fashion.

3. I like women. I have nothing against women. I'm very fond of them on the whole and thank the Lord for his clever usage of estrogen every day.

***But***

When a gaggle of rookie, rude, arrogant women come into my store, I'm very willing to let them go on their merry way.

Three women came in today and were looking for 'something', though I'm guessing they didn't really have a clue. I tried to help them, but the spokesmodel for the group wouldn't stop changing the subject whenever I tried to ask them what they were looking for. They just did like 4 laps of the store, looked at prices, and then told me that there was something for $300 at Zellers and threatened to go and buy it because my store had so much expensive stuff.

Some days, a salesperson will take such comments as a challenge and spend the next hour trying to 'edumacate' them on the reality of the situation, telling them:

- That's not the real price. ($399 and 300 are two different things and people always quote the prices without mentioning the extra 99 bones...)
- That price is after the rebates, and counting the tax you spend on the before rebate price, mine is still $28 less.
- That computer has half the components of mine, which is $28 more. Mine is a better deal.
- You'll never get a lick of service/help from that store where as I, as exampled by my current efforts, am ready and willing to do what I can to help you out with problems.
- That store pays $40 of every purchase to support the clubbing of baby seals in Northern Ontario and in buying such a product, you are directly responsible for the killing of baby seals.

OKAY! OKAY! That last one is an exaggeration. Either way, I didn't say any of those things. I let them go to Zellers. Sue me. Until Next Time,

The Armchair Geek

P.S. - Come on in to my store today for a great deal or I'll club this baby seal!

2 Comments:

  • HAHA! Yes. Yes, you are a gracious man. That is a good thing considering Tom Lager (that ignorant tech rookie you were referring to) will probably be coming into your store before Aug 21st. As far as the women, give them the B. Snake Bat and tell them the little seals need to be protected. HAH! I enjoy your stories Geek. Keep them coming...

    By Blogger Phan Tom Lager, at 8:04 PM  

  • Ohh I could tell you a few stories my self. I deal with hebicides and I get some of the same situations. "Umm I bought this at CT can you tell me the mixing rate?" And if you tell them that you have no idea because you do not sell that product and are completely unfamiliar with it, they will call back. At least three times and talk to three different people who say the exact same thing. Then we learn that she has the mixing rate right in front of her but she is too old and blind to read it!

    By Blogger THACI, at 9:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home