Tales of Idiocy and Woe...But Now I'm CRAZY in California!

Monday, June 26, 2006

Not quite a TSR-80, but...

Guy calls me today. Here's what he says:

"Hello, I am looking for a parallel printer to run on DOS 6. Do you have one?"

Here's what I said:

"No. You're somewhere around 15 years too late to be shopping for that..."

And then the conversation continued on, with me asking what he needed it for and then explaining that, in order to try to find a 15 year old printer to run off DOS 6 (I shudder to think what kind of computer he was running), he's going to have to look on E-bay/Huttterite farms/Flea Market Sales in Yorkton/in the ditch near Herbert.

Some people run such old hardware that they cannot play the newest games and have to instead play old crappy games like Star Trek Elite Force (like me! HA!) and get emulators so that they can play Mike Tyson's Punch Out (Like Blackjack! HA HA!).

Some people run such old hardware that they cannot import any of their saved Lotus 1-2-3 spreadsheets when the time comes to upgrade (like a hairdresser I sold a system to a while ago).

Some people run such old hardware that they cannot even get onto the internet (Like several farmers I've sold stuff to).

BUT, some people run such old hardware that they have to order vacuum tubes from Russian and Chinese companies. I can understand the 'cool' side of 'retro computing' and dinking around with old Commadore 64's and whatnot. I just cannot fathom someone using an 80386 system since 1987 and having it still running in 2006 (and still using Microsoft Word 2.0 and Harvard Graphics!!). They don't make 'em like they used to!

Until Next Time,

The Armchair "All blogs written on an ENIAC! You're all PWNED!!" Geek

2 Comments:

  • I have an old Macintosh Classic (circa 1990) that I still use on a regular basis for word processing. I've probably been using it for about ten years, but it still works pretty well, although occationally it won't start up properly.

    By Blogger Andrew L, at 9:39 AM  

  • I need proof! And pies! I need PIES!

    By Blogger The Armchair Geek, at 1:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home